Saturday, October 27, 2007

like singing in the shower, but shushier

So I ended up working at the library last Sunday, which I kind of hate doing, but that's another story. I was helping someone in the children's fiction section when I heard this indistinct but vaguely tonal sound filling my area. I thought maybe some kid was singing in the bathroom, but they'd have to really be belting it out since the bathroom wasn't close. As I walked back to my desk, I realized that the sound was coming from a young girl in the glass study room. She didn't look like she was singing, just sitting there with her head down, reading some manga, but it had to be her. Kids often make the mistake of thinking that room is soundproof, instead of the echo chamber that it is. Kind of like a big shower stall, without the water. Or the privacy.

I needed to cut this little jam session short- it is a library, after all- but the shape of her tuneless tune felt a little familiar, and the music history major, listening test-taking student in me felt compelled to identify it first. Thank you, Alice Hanson!

Then it struck me: she was singing the Hallelujah Chorus. Only the first four bars, and in a made-for-TV, based-on-an-actual-song kind of way, but there it was. Unexpected, but okay, I'll buy it. After all, it was Sunday afternoon.

This has been another Random Public Library Moment (TM).

1 comment:

Lena said...

I love RPLMs! I feel a book coming on. Perhaps a coffee table book for librarians;) This may be your ticket into the publishing world.