Sunday, October 7, 2007

I don't know, which one's frencher?



















Last night I had a lovely evening of Minnesota Orchestra and dinner with my friend Peter and his parents. We went to Vincent's, a French restaurant in downtown Minneapolis. First of all, the meal brought to mind such overused food and wine critic words as "exquisite" and "sublime"; "delicious" didn't quite cover it. Wowza.

A friend of mine used to gauge whether a restaurant was really as upscale as the decorating implied by whether or not they had cloth napkins. Well Nick, if you're out there, here's a new level entirely; see what you make of it. White cloth napkins were artfully folded at each place setting. As we sat down, our waiter asked each of Peter's parents if they would prefer a black napkin. What?? This is not an option I have ever encountered before. Does anybody know what that's all about? I completely forgot to ask the waiter before we left.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know! I know!
You are offered a black napkin if you are wearing black so you don't get white lint on your black outfit. My, my! Snazzy restaurant!

alicia said...

ah-ha! mystery solved. good to know. I will now expect matching napkins for all my outfits.