Monday, August 6, 2007

Objects of My Affection II: The Complete Harry Potter Collection, UK editions

And now they are complete:


I bought the first three Harry Potter books when I was living in England in 2001, back when they were thinner and more packable, because I liked the alternate covers and the shorter, friendlier size, and because that was their country of origin and it seemed appropriate. Of course, once I started down that path, I felt compelled to make the set match. Fortunately for me, international mail and the online mega-power of Amazon.com made that not only possible, but easy and affordable. Sure, I got them each about a week after they were released, but that small show of delayed gratification has paid off with a complete set that makes the concrete-sequential and anglophilic chunks of my soul smile.

Here are the covers:

I like how the cover styles, like the contents, get older as the books progress. There are 5 different artists altogether. I do like the American GrandPre covers, but I like these better. And when I take the dust jacket off to keep it safe, the illustration is printed on the actual cover as well, so it's still pretty. Plus even the doorstop-sized middle books rest nicely in one hand while you're reading, and you can turn pages with the other hand. It's the little things, you know?

No comments: