Sunday, April 8, 2007

Good Friday, Good Jazz

At my church's Good Friday tenebrae service, we each get a nail on the way in. After the service, as we're leaving in darkness and silence, we drop the nails in a tin bucket by the door. The only sound in the church is the patter of falling nails, a sobering reminder that each of us had a hand in putting Christ on the cross. Throughout the service, I was fidgeting with the nail, and by the end I found that I wasn't eager to give it up. I would trace the sharp edges with my fingers, even clutch it tight into my palm, like worrying a toothache with my tongue, as if the constant bite of my own sins was somehow a comfort to have near. The problem is, I don't have the guts to actually pierce my own hand, and even if I did, what's the value of my tainted blood? How often do I find some kind of dark comfort in keeping company with my own spiritual aches and pains instead of turning them over to Christ, who already covered my cosmic tab? I suppose it's because wallowing takes less effort, and I also get a nice martyr-y feeling, as long as I don't think it through too much.

And now for something completely different: after church, I went to see Happy Apple play at the Artist's Quarter in downtown St. Paul with my friend Jason. He's a big fan, and I thought I'd give them a try, and it was definitely worth the effort. Drums, bass, and saxophone is what they've got. According to Happy Apple's mySpace page, they classify themselves as jazz/experimental/crunk. Whatever they are, they are talented and very tight while playing the crazy jazz music, yeah. Here they are in motion:
Whee!

The show also re-enforced in my mind that some types of music go best with a beer. This is one of them. I don't know if it's the classic dark basement jazz club setting, or the nature of jazz itself, but a muscle and brain relaxant seemed to free up a few synaptic pathways for new combination possibilities that my brain may not have been as willing to accept and enjoy when stuck in stone cold weekday patterns. Just a thought.

In an attempt to tie the two halves of my day together, I pose a question:

If the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit played drums, electric bass, and sax in a jazz trio, who would play what, and why?

In my CD player:
Live Current, volume 2 (thank you, MPR)

In my iPod: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

On my screen:
Jeremiah, Season 1 (jury's still out on this one...)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Not the most timely comment, but since I only recently discovered your blog... well, what's a boy to do?
"If the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit played drums, electric bass, and sax in a jazz trio, who would play what, and why?"
I think you got the order right. The drums provide the foundation for everything and resonate right to the core of one's being; the bass layers new levels over that and really establishes the groove, it's versatile and in the hands of a Master can be background or harmony, lead or solo; clearly, the sax is the perfect instrument for the Rushing Wind- ethereal, smokey, complex, the Spirit/sax can be the sursurus brushing faintly on the back of the neck, the graceful support of one's soaring flight, or the unfathomable harmonious chaos of the tornado. Coltrane's good, but this guy's got chops.
That's my 2cents.