Saturday, March 22, 2008

sometimes you wanna go where at least some people know your name

I've been missing my old job a lot lately, for a variety of reasons I won't get into right now. But I moved back for family, and that hasn't changed. There's also something irreplaceable about living in the place you grew up. I'm not saying it's the best or only way to go, certainly. But I was at the chiropractor this week getting all straightened up and aligned, and when I mentioned that I had to wear one of those metal bars across my feet as a baby to correct my goose feet, my chiropractor said, "Oh yeah, I remember that." Old family friend. Nowhere else in the world would I get that response. There's something about people who have known you your entire life; they occupy a unique place in your personal universe. At least, they do in mine. They're not always my closest or best friends, but they know me in ways no one else can, in first-person historical ways. I've discovered that having contact with people like that, inside and outside of my family, is important to me.

No comments: