Saturday, March 1, 2008

push the button, Frank*

Today I received the fourth in a series of emails at work regarding duress alarm training. For the sake of elucidation, I have photographed the underside of my reference desk:

That whitish thing is the duress alarm. It is a recessed switch to help us avoid accidentally triggering it while trying to adjust the motorized desk (which happens anyway, but maybe not as often as it could). In the event of major unpleasantness, which we experienced last month, you put your finger in the hole and pull toward you, and county security, police, SWAT team, what have you, are notified that the library, and your desk in particular, is experiencing duress. An excellent feature to have in a public building. But honestly- how much training does it take? Mind you, this is not training for what to do in the unlikely event of a [fill in duress-inducing situation here]. This is training for the alarm itself. If I don't see the need for the training, does it mean that I don't need it, or that I don't realize how badly I need it? Would I enjoy the training as ironically good fun, or would I later mourn the loss of 30 precious minutes of my life? I may step up and do it just to find out.


*kudos to you if you got the reference. If not, educate yourself.

2 comments:

Lena said...

can you use this in the event of personal or mental duress? if so, I think it is definitely worth the training.

Gumby said...

I knew I recognized the reference but couldn't quite remember from where.

Ah, MST. I remember that show. Every time I hear Nirvana on the radio I just think of "Come as you are, as a friend, to my atrium, yeah yeah."

Funny!