Monday, March 31, 2008

Big Island, Big Fun, part I: adjusting my contrast

The day before I left for Hawai'i was Easter. Here was the view from my church's parking lot:

Big, fat flakes. Very pretty, but not very compatible with all the cute little Easter dress shoes.

I got home yesterday. This is what's happening in my driveway RIGHT NOW:

That's right, a plow. And that's all fresh snow, with the pile still growing. Out like a lion indeed.

Now for the good part. Here's me on Easter Monday:

HAHA!! Escape!

I flew Minneapolis to Honolulu by way of Portland. As we flew over my beloved Cascades, I experienced a moment when I just wanted to get off in Portland, rent a car, and visit old friends and favorite trails in and around Olympia for the week. I resisted the urge, but all you OlyWA and Centralia folks out there, know that you're missed.

I went to Hawai'i to visit and travel with my wonderful, wanderlustige friend Dawn, who is currently pursuing that elusive beast known as ethnomusicology at UH-Honolulu. Sadly, she came down with a nasty bug right before I arrived, so Sarah, her friend and the third member of our intrepid travel trio, picked me up from the airport. While Dawn recovered in solitude and general discomfort, I had another gracious tour guide. In a grad student department of about 8, wouldn't you know that one of them was a fellow Ole music major? Sarah McClimon (different Sarah) nicely drove me down to nearby Waikiki for a little sightseeing and catching up. This was by far the most touristy spot I visited the entire trip, but also very lovely, and good to see for the sake of comparison with the rest of my week.

It took me a solid day to adjust to vacation mode: no To Do lists, no deadlines, no politics. Just a couple of friends, guide books and a general idea of what we wanted to do. It may have taken an ocean, but it worked: I actually got far enough away from work that I didn't think about it all week, except as a distant sort of thing, out of place and easy to brush aside. Ahh, just what I needed.

That was basically Monday, day 1. With how much we crammed into each of our days, I'm taking this a day at a time. More to follow...

No comments: