Thursday, November 29, 2007

and a blessed Leon to you, too

The world seems out to amuse me today. I'll get into my co-worker's imaginary cat later, but for today there is the house on the edge of my parents' neighborhood. They put up a fair-to-moderate amount of Christmas lights every year, and this year is no exception. I haven't driven by to see for myself yet, so this observation comes care of my sister. As we were getting off the phone, she had a request. "If you call Mom tomorrow, will you ask her if she knows why the house on the corner has "LEON" spelled in lights?" Why, indeed. It's not like they put the NOEL sign up backwards by mistake, because the letters are facing the right way. Is it supposed to be a joke? A grinchy anti-Christmas message? An homage to a friend named Leon? Some kind of misguided attempt at Christmas light back-masking? I almost don't want to know. The imagining is more fun. If I find me a working camera soon, I'll add visuals.

2 comments:

J. said...

Maybe Leon is that long lost family member who forgot where they lived....

Unknown said...

This story reminds me of something from my childhood... One year my grandmother put gift wrap on her front door. The paper contained a simple repetition of the phrase "HO!HO!HO!" Unfortunately, Grandma hung the paper upside down. That is why we refer to that year as the "Ohio" Christmas.