Wednesday, December 4, 2013

What's the worst that could happen?


 When it's time to step back from your life and get some perspective, there are many ways to do it. Vacations are good. So are new skills, new hobbies, old friends. Prayer. Deep conversations over expensive beer.

But what if that's not enough? Suppose you had no obligations that couldn't wait a few months, no partners or children who expected you to stick around, and the urgent need for a change of scenery, both outside and in. Are you willing to make a run for the boundaries of your life?

That's me today, and my wanderer's heart is eying South America. I aim to get uncomfortable for a while, to land on new soil with only part of a plan, to force feed my brain the Spanish language, and to remind myself that life will always be stressful, but sometimes we can choose more memorable causes.

What's the worst that could happen? Doing nothing.

No comments: