Saturday, February 6, 2010

Random Public Library Moment (what? I have a blog? Oh yeah.)

I knew it had been a while since I'd posted here, but over a year? Zoiks. Greetings to the 2 people still out there paying any attention.

Two young men and their grandfather came up to the reference desk on a busy Saturday afternoon looking for car repair manuals. First I got the make and model, then I asked what system they were working on. One of the guys lifted his hand above the edge of the desk-- he was holding the (somewhat oily) master cylinder. In unison they all said, “The brakes.” I printed out what information I could find from a repair database. When I asked if that was enough, the grandpa said, “I hope so—but if not, we’ll come back with the other part.”

They didn't return that day. I hope that means that my information helped, and not that they gave up on their '96 Buick Regal. I was half-hoping they would be back with a series of parts to research, laying them out in exploded-view on the terrazzo floor in front of the reference desk.

No comments: