Saturday, July 19, 2008

Pea pickin' and Canon crunchin'

A few weeks ago, Katie and the girls and I went up north of Alexandria to get out of town, to take the girls on their first overnight in a tent, and for the pea picking weekend at Ploughshare, our CSA farm. We had a great time picking oodles of delicious peas and sharing a pot luck lunch with other members, but then it started to rain. And rain, and rain, and rain. We decided to scrap the camping with one infant and one toddler with a cold and check into a hotel in Alexandria instead. I don't know if I've mentioned this here, but two-year-old Lucy has a steel-trap memory that puts the rest of the family to shame. About two thirds of the way back to Alex, she once again proved her superior recall: "Leesha's camera?" *gasp* Oh no! I think I left my camera on the roof of the car when I was buckling her in! Sure enough, it was nowhere to be found in the interior.

The next morning, we headed back to the farm for one last attempt to find it before heading back to the Cities. Neither we nor the quartet of blonde, tanned little farm brothers on bikes had any luck. Just as we were giving up and heading out, Katie spotted something on the turnoff to the "main" road.



Yes, she had found my camera. Most of it, anyway, spread along the side of a 50-foot stretch of country road. Alas, the memory card was not one of the pieces we found, so my cute pictures of pea pickin' were lost. And strangely enough, even my extended warranty did not cover encounters with the business side of multiple 4x4's. Obviously, I got a new one, because I've discovered that I really like having a camera handy. I won't say need, since that's a strong and overused word, but it's a priority. So Rest in Peace (Pieces) little Canon; you done right by me. I will try to remember the good times we had in Hawai'i, and not my final vision of you as road kill.

No comments: