Friday, June 8, 2007

great Caesar's ghost, that's bad

I know he's a boy scout. I know some people think he lacks that certain superhero noir that's so popular nowadays. But Superman has always been, and always will be, my favorite superhero, tightie reds and all.

Thanks to my local public library, I got a hold of The Adventures of Superboy, Season 1, featuring a college-age Clark Kent and friends, ca. 1988.



First, the good: I think they meant well. It's kind of sweet sometimes, and they do try to be faithful to the comics, mostly. Other than that, it's a combination of bad young actors and guest star veterans like My Favorite Martian's Ray Walston, bad scripts, bad special effects, and a soundtrack straight out of 80's TV. Camp at its least intentional. Why did 80's TV take itself so seriously? Was it the looming threat of nuclear holocaust, U.S. Cold War self-righteousness, what? And why is Clark/Superboy's lip always slightly curled, like he's either smelling something vaguely foul or channeling Elvis?









The world may never know.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

That is so incredibly bad that I must watch a complete episode!

alicia said...

Yes, it has that effect on me, too. And you'd think one episode would be enough to get the idea, but it's not. I think my Superman loyalty is compelling me to hope it'll get better.